Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The team from down south...

In case you didn't know, earlier in the trip we had a group of five students from the Horizon School of evangelism doing their practicum with us. It has been a couple weeks since they left, and unfortunately they were not around when the Internet was working, so I asked them to write a short blurb about themselves and the experiences that they had here in Kenya. Three of the five completed the request, and if the Sarahs are reading this...EMAIL ME YOUR BLOGS. (I am not really angry, just thought the capitals would add a little something.)

********************************************************************************************************************************

My name is Christina and I came here to serve from San Diego, California these past few weeks. I am a student at the Horizon School of Evangelism, and it was a blessing to get to join the summer team at the compound as my practicum experience along with my fellow classmates. I have never been to Africa before so I experienced many new things here in Kitale, Kenya.

Chris introduced us to so many people and ministries, but the place I enjoyed serving at the most was Sister Freda’s hospital. It was neat to experience her mission to give quality health care to the people of Kitale in a peaceful, healing environment. I had a chance to serve by going around and talking with the patients and their families and praying over them for healing and spiritual renewal. Also, in the short time I spent with Sister Freda and her husband Richard, I experienced their genuine kindness and hospitality, and really felt at home there.

I had such a great time and I really hope to come back and serve here again someday!



********************************************************************************************************************************

Hi all,

My name is Chad and I had a great time with Chris in Kitale, Kenya. I currently attend the Horizon School of Evangelism in San Diego, California. Through God’s Grace, a connection was made with Pastor Steve and I was able to stay at the Kitale Compound. This visit to Kitale, Kenya has been a highlight of my life.

Chris was a great host as he showed us different ministry opportunities. One of my favorite ministries were the Oasis of hope.




********************************************************************************************************************************

Christians going on a missions trip to Africa is so cliche! I began this trip with a purpose in my heart to make sure it was different, and to prevent it from becoming just another "missions trip to Africa." This trip was anything but typical, but that was no thanks to me:) God really taught me what it looks like and means to be a humble servant on this trip, but not in the way that I expected. I was on this trip to practice servant hood but instead I was served, I thought I would practice helping people change their lives but instead I was changed. I thought I would be used to teach others about The Lord but instead I watched, listened, and learned. This trip was not "my idea" of typical,...honestly it wasn't "my idea" of anything, and I am so glad!

The sweetest memory that I will take home from this trip happened while I was at Oasis of Hope. I was talking to some of the younger kids and eating my lunch when I noticed a little boy named Isaac watching me. Feeling completely guilty for eating in front of him, I asked him if he would like to have my lunch, and he took it happily. As soon as I handed him the bowl I noticed the other kids sitting around. I thought to myself "Oh no! Now they will fight over it!" I cringed as I watched the kids in the room reach out their hands to Isaac asking him for food. I watched in amazement as one by one (before taking a bite himself!!) Isaac gave each of them some of the food I had given him. And he did it with the biggest smile on his face, EXCITED that he had something to share with his friends! He made sure that everyone got some before taking the last bite for himself. What a lesson to take home! God is sooo GOOD! I hope this story blesses you as much as it has blessed me:)

Sarah Bestwick:)






I am not sure what happened to Chad's blog but it seems unfinished. So if you are out there Chad and you would like me to re-post your blog, shoot me an email. Thanks so much to the entire team from San Diego, and everyone who supported them. I could not imagine this trip without you guys, you did amazing.


Chris Wohlers

1 comment:

  1. Hi my son. It sounds like this has been a great experience for all so far. Sorry I missed your call the other day I will try to call you this week. Miss you soooooo much. Love to you Buddy.

    Mom xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete