Saturday, June 20, 2009

1 month down and 2 more to savor!


The past month that I have been in Kitale has been quite an experience! I have seen some of the most beautiful landscape and not 10 minutes later witnessed some of the most terrible living circumstances.

As I look back at the past month, I am overjoyed at the experiences that God has blessed me with. Day to day, we go out and serve at our chosen places of ministry but at night we come back to Pastor Steve’s compound and eat dinner and share about events that happened throughout the day and enjoy each others company! We have a great group out here that seems like it is constantly adding and subtracting members but still seems to get along great!

If all goes to plan, I will be entering medical school within the next year. Since I’m interested in the medical field, I volunteer most of my days at Sister Freda’s Cottage Hospital. It’s incredible to see Sister Freda work- she inspires me to be a kind and caring medical professional. My first day at the hospital we visited a 7-month old baby name Ann that was suffering from severe tuberculosis. Ann was incredibly emaciated and about the size of a newborn baby. My heart broke watching this little baby struggling to breathe. Many of the things I see here are very hard to rationalize and process. Sometimes it’s the medical emergencies at the clinics that impact me but overall it’s the tragedies that are the realities of these people’s lives. My worldview is changing and I hope that I don’t lose any of the insight that I have gained thus far.

2 comments:

  1. Kylee, You're parents miss you so you need to come home! j/k. We're so proud of you and know God is uses you wherever you are! So pleased with your opportunity in Kitale and wished I was there...

    Love you, Dad & Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for the post! We are praying for you constantly and are so encouraged by your report. God is amazing and this is such an amazing time in your life. We are praying for endurance, strength, wisdom and joy!!! Love ya-Annie, Mark and the kiddos!!!

    ReplyDelete