Wednesday, July 1, 2009

On serving...

Having Steve around is a huge bonus, as well as a priceless asset to all of us that are serving in Kitale this summer. Over the past couple weeks we have been going over some of the purposes of our church, and trying to unpack those ideas in a place like Kitale. Tonight we hit something that I feel like a lot of students struggle with, Serving.

I know that college is one of the more selfish times in a persons life, in fact in my experience it is a time when we get a free card to be stupid, "hey, it's college" is usually the justification. Because of this, serving sort of takes a back seat to the more "important" things; school, networking, dating, and friends. I have heard it said that college is where you really discover yourself, and I think that is true, but I also feel like there is two ways that can happen, you can either discover your life in Christ, or in the world. Everyone has a personality, everyone has a passion, but unless those things are rooted in the person of God what use are they in serving Him?

I have been so impressed by everyone here, wrestling with where God wants them to serve. Sometimes you come to serve thinking that God has shaped you for a specific task, but as you pray and spend time with him things change, and God opens a whole new world to you.

Thanks to everyone who is supporting what we are doing here. we are discovering more about ourselves, and what it means to serve God the we ever imagined.

Chris


P.S. I know this picture has nothing to do with the content of this blog, I just enjoyed his smile.

3 comments:

  1. Chris, Your post was touching and heart warming just as you are. I hope you had a good birthday yesterday. I thought about you all day and remembered the sweetness of that special day 22 years ago!!!!! You are touching so many lives with your service and I know God is smiling down on you my precious son. We all miss you and are looking forward to your return along with your stories of this special time.
    Love and miss you more than you will ever know

    Mom xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. chris
    loved your insightful words, you're an amazing kid and I hope I'm seated next to you at the wedding feast. Can you do me a favor and take a picture of daniel doing his LAUNDRY?

    Mamma Spain

    ReplyDelete
  3. For 22 years Chris, I never doubted for a moment that you wouldn't become the man you now are. I am constantly amazed by your maturity, love of Christ and your capability of putting yourself aside while thinking of others. My heart jumps when I see you on iChat and the ability to "see" and "talk" to you. I love you bud... Dad

    ReplyDelete