Monday, July 13, 2009

Mercy Reflections


Add Image As my time in Kenya comes to a close, it's unreal how fast my trip went. At the same time, I feel as if I've been here longer than I really have, as I am completely settled in here. Over the past three weeks, I have visited many ministry sites and met with the people who run them, listening to the stories of how their ministry began, and their vision for it. Talking with and holding the hands of the children at these centers never ceases to bring a smile to my face. I have also enjoyed walking through town, interacting with and waving to the people on the street and in the stores. Everyone pronounces my name wrong, but they have the right idea, and the fact that they remember at all inspires me to try to memorize every one of the precious names and faces I meet.

I love hearing individual stories and talking with the people here. However, I have to confess that my favorite moment in Kenya thus far has not been a conversation, great as those have been, but a song. In church one Sunday, the boys and girls who used to stay at the Mercy House got up to sing for the congregation. They praised God with such jubilation that I did not know whether to beam or bawl, so I did a little bit of both. The night before, those boys and girls had spent the night with us, and I was able to hear their trial-filled stories. For them to then praise God with the joy that they had was overwhelming, and incredibly contagious. The Christ-followers that I have met during my short stay in Kenya truly "get it." They recognize the role that God has played in their lives and they give God everything they have, with faith vastly uncommon in America. There is so much that can be learned from being with these amazing people, and I am truly thankful to have been able to spend part of my summer here in Kenya with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment