Thursday, July 30, 2009

Lovely Lamic


After spending a number of weeks in Kitale I have met a number of people who have impacted my life and changed my heart forever. One ministry site that I love spending time at is a place called Discover to Recover.Discover to Recover is a not only a school but it is also a home for around 45 children who have or are affected by HIV and AIDS. These children are anywhere from the ages of two to sixteen and they have all formed a family from living together. So many of the children that live at this home have stolen pieces of my heart in separate ways but one boy who has stolen a huge chuck of my heart is named Lamic.


 Where do I even begin with this boy. Lamic is one of the most gentle and kindhearted kids I have met here. There is something so different about this kid than the other kids and I can't quite put my finger on it. We have had some fun moments together and we have also had some great talks that I would have never dreamt of having with a twelve year old boy. We talked about God and His plan for Lamic's life and the proof of the Lord is clearly present in his life. This is not an easy thing to talk about with the kids here because of the great poverty they are all in, but Lamic made it easy. He was so transparent with his past and his hurts because of how he has learned from them and because they have brought him to where he is today. 


After this conversation with Lamic God encouraged me and completely reaffirmed why I am spending my summer here. I'm not here to assist in medical work and I'm not here to teach a classroom full of kids but I am positive that the Lord has me here for relationships. Sitting down and talking with kids about the Lord. Lamic has been such a blessing in my life and when I return home in a few weeks time a piece of my heart will be at Discover to Recover with Lamic. 


Thank you such much for taking an interest our journeys.

 Torie Fields

 

No comments:

Post a Comment