Monday, July 13, 2009

The Great Adventures of the High Schoolers

Today is the three week mark from when I left LAX to Kitale and so much has happened. I have hit some speed bumps along the way during this trip; however, when I reflect on God's calling to me to come here and the obstacles Gabby and I have tackled together, those bumps get smaller and smaller and, eventually, become minor side effects of international travel.

My favorite adventure we've had so far was going back up to Mt. Elgon for the second time last Thursday to give a cow, sheep, and other supplies to a woman named Alice who lost her husband to the post-election violence last summer. She lives in a mud house no bigger than a kitchen with her 11 children. Blessing this woman and helping her out was the greatest part of my trip so far. The community gathered around to witness the muzungues visiting their village and I hope some of their lives were impacted by seeing our love for Alice and her children. Pastor Steve stressed that all of the material items we gave her will not last forever, but God's love and our love for her will last forever.

Two weeks ago we finished our tour with Chris and began venturing into Kitale on our own. This is a totally new experience for me and almost feels like an initiation into being an adult and having my own independence after just graduating high school. We've walked around town, ridden the boda-bodas and the piki-pikis, and been to...interesting places. Last week, Gabby and I taught for the very first time at Purpose Driven Academy. We taught a Bible class to Class 8 and gave them a lesson about Zacchaeus the tax collector and how to live in unity with God and others. Ironically, this is an area in my life that I need to work on as well. However, living in community with other Christians my age has been such a blessing.

When I remember visiting the slums of Kipsongoh and the torn village on Mt. Elgon last week, I see the hope and love of the Holy Spirit that lives there in the midst of despair. I know that the Lord has great plans for this city, this nation, and this world. The last leg of my trip is nearing as we only have 1 day until we go back to the United States and I could go on and on about the many things I have seen. To my supporters, thank you so much for your prayers and love. To my family, I love you and miss you all! Please continue to pray for the Lord's guidance on the rest of my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment