Monday, June 28, 2010

Back to Oasis

It is so good to be back to Kitale. I missed it so much and it is great to see many faces, both new and old. Being back I am rediscovering how easy it is to create relationships with all of the children at the ministries that we are visiting. I am suprised by how much of an impact a person can make by simply just being available. As I visit these places and spend time with the kids after I use the five Swahili phrases I know to say hello, ask their name and age there is little that we can say after that. At Oasis, I was playing with the kids while they were out at their recess. The interaction was as simple as just sitting there, taking pictures and showing them the pictures. I did this for about an hour and a half. I was talking to the kids in English and they were talking to me in Swahili, not understanding a word, but its the time spent that makes the difference. While I was sitting with the kids on the grass different kids came and went over the course of the hour. I just sat there and spent time with various kids. One boy in particular stayed on my lap the entire time and even got into mini fights with the other kids when they tried to steal his spot. His name is Peter, I met him last year and the other kids told me that he sleeps in town with his dad. He is always dirty from head to toe, but he is one happy kid. While he sat with me he kept taking my arms and wrapping them around him. He even dozed off a few times. Its times like these that remind me that its all about simply being available to give these kids the love and attention that may not be given to them at home. It doesn't require some grand gesture, just simply passing on God's love to them.




No comments:

Post a Comment