Saturday, August 1, 2009

The Great Blanket Drop...

Geoffry can explain this a little better then I can...




So like Geoff said, the idea is simple, Steve, Matt, Dan, Pat and myself, along with Geoff and some guests drive around the streets with two trunks full of blankets looking for sleeping street kids to throw a blanket over. Which basically looks like this...





These are kids that the whole team have spent time with, whether it is at Oasis of Hope, or just sitting on the street corner, each one of us has had our heart broken by these kids. It is amazing driving down the streets, because the kids aren't exactly sleeping in the middle of the sidewalk. these kids are huddled together under verandas and any other structure that will provide some protection from rain. You have to know exactly where to look, and what to look for. Some of these kids are inside of a potato sack, trying to gather some warmth, while others just pull their arms and heads into their shirts. Every night is a constant struggle to stay out of the path of guards hired to watch the shop fronts.

I think that greatest part about this whole thing is the struggle to stay un-noticed. It isn't about letting these kids know who is giving them blankets, or even that they are getting blankets at all, it is, as Geoff said, a simple way to say "God loves you, and so do we." That being said it isn't exactly easy to stay hidden when you are laying something over someone while they sleep. Because of this you often get noticed...



If you listen carefully you can hear a little boy say "CRIS?" and then say "Pastor Steve?" near the end of the video. This will without a doubt go down as one of the greatest moments of my life, even though I simply tell him no it isn't me.

This morning we all walked down the streets to all of the street kids coming to tell us that someone brought them blankets, while others came to inform us that they wanted another.

Somethings that happen here take a whole bunch of time to process, but what God teaches us through things like this can never be measured.




3 comments:

  1. I'm totally cryin right now at that smiling face looking at the camera and knowing your name...

    Thank you for being the hands and feet of Jesus last night. Thank you for loving these kids in such a way that they feel known and cared for and so loved.

    I'm so, so proud of you. And so so jealous that I wasn't there to see this first-hand. I can't wait to watch your face as you tell me about this experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris,
    It is with tears in my eyes and joy in my heart that I read and watched your post. You are amazing young men who are making the lives of others so much better. I love you

    Mom xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete